Watches for running with
You can use a smartphone for the tracking of your runs, and it seems that many have.
Alongside the above apps, one can use a dedicated device for recording data. This relieves you of running with a phone in your pocket (or on your arm if you want). I started looking into some options, and while TomTom offered a well regarded device in the Runner/Spark 3, they are getting out of the wearables business, which means that ongoing support for the device is quite limited. After reading a few reviews, Garmin’s devices came up frequently. I then discovered that their Forerunner 235 was half price over Christmas.
The device is designed to track running activities, with an internal GPS and can do wrist-based heart-rate monitoring. It also has support for heart-rate zones, such as these which enables you to target a zone and increase your capacity in a consistent manner.
- Garmin Forerunner 235
- This syncs to Garmin Express on the Mac
- And syncs to Garmin Connect on my phone.
- Both of these sync data to the Garmin Connect website that has a slew of data and analysis and can help you train more effectively
- I also use Runkeeper as a backup app and presentation site
- Garmin also supports their own apps platform
Watch fields etc.
My current run fields are:
- Run.monitor Select (not Data or neither) https://apps.garmin.com/en-AU/apps/9ffb4134-90af-433e-bde0-8329570bf021
- Peter’s (Race) Pacer https://apps.garmin.com/en-AU/apps/23ea0301-30c6-4c33-b4ef-63e2b5394e76#0
I have tried:
- Single (Run) Field https://apps.garmin.com/en-AU/apps/640d46dd-12db-44d2-acfa-cb7eb9e840b7 presents most of the information that I am wanting.
- I was using Heart Rate and Time in Zone https://apps.garmin.com/en-AU/apps/53505cae-a7d8-4fcb-97fa-4ad28a244d90 but I can get the times later from Connect, so I just need zones and relative time so Heart Rate Zones Chart suits https://apps.garmin.com/en-AU/apps/4885b1e1-7102-4c66-8600-c69f911780d6#0 if a dedicated screen is needed, but Runzone BPM could work https://apps.garmin.com/en-AU/apps/140d3379-ce7d-4851-803b-f71f7967717e
- Maybe test Race Screen https://apps.garmin.com/en-AU/apps/6a30651b-ca67-41a5-96dc-60634983fc93#0
- Dozen Run https://apps.garmin.com/en-AU/apps/9ff75afa-d594-4311-89f7-f92ca02118ad#0
- A complex one is Run Trainer https://apps.garmin.com/en-AU/apps/99a2bc79-fc17-4b19-adb4-1999d9b867ad#0
- Big Font with 4 https://apps.garmin.com/en-AU/apps/e17f6fd7-52ed-4c25-aa10-ebab2df29511
- and On Pace https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/b47e4d38-ed64-4f54-90ff-6c689017e459#0
- or Virtual Pacer https://apps.garmin.com/en-AU/apps/1825bb91-1a47-4283-8564-f96544b2085e
- or Race Pacer https://apps.garmin.com/en-AU/apps/03098a88-2841-4cc4-8f03-3afa6a19ea20#0
Using a Garmin
some watches and reviews I considered
- w/gps Garmin Forerunner 235
- Garmin vivoactive 3
- hiking Ambit3 Vertical
- garmin comparisons https://garminforerunner.com/garmin-forerunner-comparison-chart/
- and https://www.wareable.com/garmin/best-garmin-watch
- garmin app display https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a520cc32-75b2-4b19-a97d-1079b931dc3d#0
- 235 review http://www.techradar.com/reviews/garmin-forerunner-235/3#article-body
- 235 review https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/garmin-fr230-fr235-review.html
- 235 review https://garminforerunner.com/reviews/garmin-forerunner-235-review/
- 235 review https://www.wareable.com/garmin/garmin-forerunner-235-review
- 235 pricing: https://www.shopbot.com.au/pp-garmin-forerunner-235-price-527736.html
- va3 review https://www.wareable.com/garmin/garmin-vivoactive-3-review
- va3 pricing https://www.getprice.com.au/buy-best-garmin-vivoactive-3.htm
- va3 https://www.harveynorman.com.au/garmin-vivoactive-3-gps-smart-watch-with-activity-tracking-gunmetal-with-black-band.html